Consumers craving health benefits and novelty from beverages, according to new Kerry report – Retail Times
Beverages associated with health benefits, sustainability and better nutrition are soaring in popularity among foodservice consumers, according to a new analysis by Kerry, the world’s leading taste and nutrition company.
Kerry’s latest research into foodservice beverages shows consumers are seeking flavours that they link with health and nutrition benefits such as strawberry, lemon and mango, but are also seeking excitement and a sensory experience through newer formats like Frappuccino and bubble tea.
Examining nearly 400 limited time offerings (LTOs) across 12 regions in Europe, the new Art of Taste and Nutrition 2022 summer analysis categorises the top beverage platforms and flavours, while examining future trends and influences across the world. According to the research, the top three LTO trends are as follows:
- Travel through taste: Moving beyond just a beverage, LTOs can also deliver an experience. Many outlets this year launched beverages with flavours such as mango, pineapple, passion fruit and coconut to create a tropical island experience for the senses.
- Natural refreshment: Consumers are craving a cool, refreshing beverage, with many now focusing on flavours they consider natural and local to the different European regions such as lemon and strawberry.
- Health and nutrition focus: Consumers are looking to foodservice outlets for healthier options. Nutrition focused LTO ranges need to deliver not only great taste but also health benefits through fortification and healthy halo ingredients.
Commenting on the new report, Daniel Sjogren, VP and general manager for foodservice in Kerry Europe, said: “With markets in Europe fully re-opened this summer, foodservice operators find themselves once again competing for consumers attention. LTOs have come back with a vengeance and are more popular than ever. We have found that consumers are looking for exciting sensory experiences, with the rise of bubble tea and drinks that are a visual experience and shareable on social media.
“Fruit flavours continue to be the core flavour offering for summer LTOs across Europe but with two clear distinctions. Firstly, exotic flavours have become more prominent in consumers’ minds as they remind themselves of their favourite holiday destinations. However, consumers are also becoming more conscious of their own health and are seeking out flavours aligned to their personal nutrition needs.”
Looking towards 2023, it is clear that sustainable nutrition will continue to gain traction with consumers more concerned with both their physical and mental health post-pandemic and the health of the planet. They are also more interested in unique menu items, with foodservice operators now having to consider not only taste but look, texture and smell to create a complete sensorial experience.
“Our prediction for the future is that sustainability along with nutrition will continue to become more important as consumers look for great tasting beverages that are better for them and better for the planet. However, many operators find it challenging to deliver on these evolved trends while also being able to communicate them to their consumers in a meaningful way. At Kerry, we look forward to partnering with customers to bring our insights to life and deliver exciting new concepts for summer 2023,” adds Mr Sjogren.
The Art of Taste and Nutrition beverage analysis for summer 2022 can be downloaded here.
Beverages associated with health benefits, sustainability and better nutrition are soaring in popularity among foodservice consumers, according to a new analysis by Kerry, the world’s leading taste and nutrition company. Kerry’s latest research into foodservice beverages shows consumers are seeking flavours that they link with health and nutrition benefits such as strawberry, lemon and mango,…
- Easy methods to begin up your M1 or M2 Mac from an exterior drive
- Akash Ambani with wife Shloka spotted in brand-new Bentley Bentayga [Video]
- Well being is not any laughing matter, so Harith Iskander & spouse Dr Jezamine launched a wellness line
- Mahindra XUV300 Petrol and Diesel SUVs recalled for clutch issues
- All You Must Know About MP’s Kuno Nationwide Park, New House to African Cheetahs